Immigration Accommodation in Surrey Canada
As a new immigrant arriving in Surrey one of the first tasks is to find short term and long-term accommodation in Surrey for you and your family.
Your first accommodation on arriving in Surrey may be temporary. This is ok, and is the route that most new migration arrivals in Surrey take. Some individuals opt of a good hostel or Serviced Accommodation in Surrey, while some are lucky enough to be able to stay with family or friends in the area.
Most new arrivals take a short-term rental while they look for something long term. As with any city, it’s always easier to find someplace new to live once you are already there and Surrey is no different.
Accommodation for newcomers in Surrey Canada guide
You’ve been through the stress and emotional roller coaster involved with securing a visa for Canada and you’ve chosen Surrey as your destination. It’s a charming place with plenty or heritage. Surrey is well known to be extremely welcoming to new migrants.
Finding Immigration Accommodation for Newcomers in Surrey Canada
Most searches begin with a search engine. Local papers in Surrey may well be online and of course, listing sites such as Craigslist and Rentfaster Surrey can be of great help.
What is the cost of short term accommodation in Surrey
The cost of short-term newcomer serviced accommodation in Surrey varies greatly depending on requirements and neighborhoods.
Lots of new arrivals to Surrey use BookDirectandSave.com to give them an indication of short term rental process in Surrey and also the option to book with confidence and security.
Rental accommodation in Surrey for newcomers
One you decide to rent an apartment or house there are certain things specific to Canada to keep in mind. For example, make sure to agree who pays for utilities, and who is responsible for removing snow!
Property owners and landlords will usually require payslips or proof of income, bank statements and occasionally they may require references from previous landlords although lots of new immigrants to Surrey were homeowners in their previous country. Sometimes it does help to already have secured employment in the greater Surrey area.
All renters in Surrey have rights, so you need to familiarize yourself with those rights before you sign any agreement. Thankfully there are a number of Organizations set up in Surrey to help. These are called Newcomer services and a list of these can be found here: newcomer service
Newcomer subletting in Surrey Canada
Sometimes when a renter leaves for a few months they will sublet their accommodation. Quite often they leave some furnishings behind and for some newcomers to Surrey this can be an ideal option, especially if you’ve yet to buy furniture or if your shipment is delayed.
Pros and Cons of Immigration Accommodation in Surrey Canada
Surrey is a popular destination for new migrants to Canada, offering a vibrant and diverse community, job opportunities, and access to quality education and healthcare. One of the most important decisions for new migrants is choosing the right accommodation option in Surrey. Here are the pros and cons of different accommodation options for new migrants arriving in Surrey:
Renting an Apartment or Condominium in Surrey
Pros of renting an apartment in Surrey as a newcomer
- Flexibility: Renting an apartment or condominium in Surrey provides a high degree of flexibility, allowing new migrants to choose the location and type of accommodation that best suits their needs and budget.
- Amenities: Most apartments and condominiums in Surrey come with a range of amenities, such as laundry facilities, parking, and fitness centers.
- No Maintenance: Renters are not responsible for any maintenance or repairs to the property, which can be a relief for new migrants in Surrey who are still adjusting to their new life in Canada.
Cons for renting accommodation in Surrey as a new immigrant to Canada
- Cost: Renting an apartment or condominium in Surrey can be expensive, especially in popular neighborhoods like downtown or near universities. The cost of renting also tends to rise quickly over time.
- Limited Space: Apartments in Surrey tend to be smaller than houses, which can make it challenging for immigrant families with children or those with large households.
- Landlord Dependence: Renters in Surrey are at the mercy of their landlords when it comes to issues like rent increases or maintenance requests.
Sharing a House or Apartment in Surrey
Pros of sharing a house as a new migrant to Surrey
- Cost: Sharing a house or apartment with roommates can be significantly cheaper than renting an entire place on your own. This can be a great option for new migrants who are on a tight budget.
- Social Connections: Living with roommates can provide an opportunity to meet new people and make friends in Surrey.
- Sharing Responsibility: Roommates can share responsibilities such as cleaning and groceries, making life a little easier for new migrants.
Cons of sharing a house as a new migrant to Surrey
- Limited Privacy: Sharing living spaces in Surrey with roommates means sacrificing privacy, which may not be ideal for everyone.
- Compatibility: Living with roommates in Surrey can be challenging if personalities clash or lifestyles differ significantly.
- Limited Control: Sharing a house or apartment in Surrey means that decisions about the property are made by all tenants, which can be difficult if everyone has different opinions.
Buying a House as a Newcomer to Surrey
- Investment: Buying a house in Surrey can be a smart investment, as property values tend to rise over time in Toronto.
- Long-term Stability: Owning a home in Surrey provides stability and the freedom to make changes or renovations as needed.
- Independence: Homeowners in Surrey have complete control over their property and can make decisions about maintenance and renovations.
- Cost: Buying a home in Surrey can be prohibitively expensive, especially for new migrants who may not have a long credit history or significant savings in Canada.
- Responsibilities: Homeowners in Surrey are responsible for all maintenance and repairs which can be a significant financial burden.
- Commitment: Buying a home in Surrey is a long term commitment that may not suit everyone’s lifestyle or plans.