Spouse Sponsorship to Canada from Dominican Republic
Family reunification is one of the major goals of the Canadian Immigration system. Every year, many thousands of spouses and partners start a new life together in Canada, including several thousand on Spousal Sponsorship to Canada from Dominican Republic.
Spousal sponsorship from Dominican Republic to Canada is one of the main ways Canada achieves its objective of bringing families together. Canada welcomes over 80,000 new immigrants through family based visas every year, with Dominican Republic being a very popular source of Canada visa spousal sponsorships.
Via the family based spousal sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic visa system, Canadian citizens and permanent residents are able to apply to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner from Dominican Republic to obtain Canadian permanent residence. The Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recognizes same-sex relationships.
Is the Spouse Sponsorship to Canada Application made in Dominican Republic or in Canada?
If the sponsor is a full Canadian Citizen then the application can be made outside of Canada, in Dominican Republic or elsewhere.
If the sponsor is a Canadian Permanent Resident (and not yet a Citizen), the application cannot be made in Dominican Republic and must be lodged in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen currently living abroad such as in Dominican Republic, you will need to demonstrate to IRCC you intend to live in Canada with your partner from Dominican Republic upon them gaining permanent residence. Permanent residents looking to sponsor their partner from Dominican Republic must reside in Canada at the time of submitting their sponsorship application.
How to sponsor your spouse from Dominican Republic
The eligibility criteria to sponsor your loved one from Dominican Republic is as follows:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- You must not be on Government benefits (apart from disability)
- You must show you can meet the financial needs of your loved one in Canada, via form 5532
- Sponsored individuals from Dominican Republic must be at least 18 years old
A Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident can sponsor these categories of partners for immigration:
- Spouse: This means your Dominican Republic partner is legally married to you.
- Common-law partner: This means your Dominican Republic partner is not legally married to you, but has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months.
- Conjugal partner: This means your Dominican Republic partner is not legally married to you, has been in a relationship with you for at least one year, resides outside of Canada in Dominican Republic or elsewhere, and is unable to marry you due to a cultural, religious, or legal obstacle.
How to submit your sponsorship application for your spouse from Dominican Republic
You need to submit two spousal sponsorship applications for your Dominican Republic spouse to the IRCC at the same time.
- sponsorship application
- permanent residence application
Step 1: Confirm you meet the eligibility criteria to sponsor your spouse from Dominican Republic
Step 2: Get the application package from the IRCC’s website
Step 3: Pay all required fees on IRCC’s website. Examples of fees include processing, right of permanent residence, and biometrics fees for you Dominican Republic spouse
Step 4: Send both applications together to IRCC by post
Once the IRCC approves the application to sponsor your spouse from Dominican Republic for Canada Immigration , you and your partner must fulfill certain obligations. You are financially responsible for your loved one from Dominican Republic for at least three years. Your partner from Dominican Republic is not allowed to sponsor another person for five years after they obtain Canadian permanent residence.
Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic Checklist
The first step in Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic is to make sure you are eligible
Are you a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident? Are you over the age of 18? Can you financially provide for your spouse from Dominican Republic, any dependent children, and yourself? These are some of the basic questions that determine your eligibility for Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic. From here, things get a little more specific. For instance, you can sponsor your partner from outside Canada in Dominican Republic yet only if you have full citizenship status. You also have to show in your application that you plan to settle in Canada (not Dominican Republic) when your spouse from Dominican Republic gets permanent residency status. Unlike Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents cannot sponsor their spouse from outside of Canada.
Financial Requirements for Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic
The Sponsor cannot be receiving Government social assistance unless it’s disability benefit, or maternity, parental, or sickness assistance. In most cases, there is no minimum income cut off for sponsoring spouses from Dominican Republic, common-law partners, and children. There will only usually be an income assessment if your Spouse from Dominican Republic has a dependent child who of their own.
What can make me ineligible for Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic
Certain circumstances could make you ineligible to sponsor your Spouse from Dominican Republic to Canada. As well as violent criminal offenses, you could also be ineligible for other reasons such as bankruptcy, or if you sponsored a previous spouse within three years of your application.
If you were a sponsored spouse from Dominican Republic now with Canadian permanent residency, you cannot sponsor a new spouse within five years of your landing in the country.
Once you confirm your own eligibility, the next step is to make sure that your partner in Dominican Republic is also admissible to Canada.
Is my spouse from Dominican Republic eligible to be sponsored?
- Your spouse from Dominican Republic must be over the age of 18, and pass background, security, as well as medical checks.
- The IRCC will check to see that your spouse from Dominican Republic is admissible. People with criminal convictions from Dominican Republic or elsewhere are generally refused.
- The IRCC will want to be assured you and your partner from Dominican Republic are in a genuine relationship.
Onshore vs Offshore sponsorship for residents of Dominican Republic
We reached out to leading Canada Immigration Expert, Alexander King of Migration Consultant LLC for the lowdown on the Partner Visa Process. Accourding to King, “if your partner is residing in Dominican Republic during the spousal sponsorship application process, you will be considered an offshore applicant. Canadian citizens can live in Dominican Republic while the Spousal Sponsorship from Dominican Republic is being processed. If you are only a Permanent Resident of Canada you must make the application while in Canada. Even if you are a Canadian Citizen living in Dominican Republic looking to sponsor your spouse or partner you must demonstrate clearly your intention to move to Canada after the visas have been granted.
If you and your partner from Dominican Republic are already living in Canada, you will usually be classed as an onshore Spousal Sponsorship case. The benefit of an inshore application is that your spouse from Dominican Republic may be eligible for an Open Work Permit while the case is being processed.
What documents do you need from Dominican Republic
- Birth certificates and any death certificates need to be the original certifications issued by Dominican Republic and on official paper.
- If there is no record of birth registration in Dominican Republic the IRCC will accept copies of Dominican Republic baptismal certificate, hospital or medical birth records, Dominican Republic school records, old passports, or the birth certificate issued by the local civil registrar in Dominican Republic.
- If you were married in Dominican Republic, you will need the original marriage certificate. If you are not married then your partner will need a Certificate of no record of marriage.
What happens after the application is lodged?
The processing of your Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic begins once the IRCC receives your completed application and documents. The Spousal Sponsorship Canada visa processing time is 12 months.
During this time the IRCC asks for biometrics and a medical for the spouse, and may request an in-person interview at any time. It is possible to track and update your application online. The last step is to complete the landing process. After that, you have officially immigrated to Canada via Spousal Sponsorship Canada from Dominican Republic.