67 Points Immigration Canada

Approximately 300,000 people move to Canada each year – one of the highest immigration rates in the world. It’s, therefore, no wonder that around 21% of this country’s population is made of immigrants. And who could blame them for moving? Canada is a beautiful country that offers high-quality education, universal healthcare, and safe neighborhoods.


And if you’re a skilled worker, there are systems put in place to make the immigration process fair and straightforward.  One of the most effective systems is the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program, via Express Entry.



What is the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) visa?


This is a visa awarded to skilled and experienced workers selected to become permanent residents of Canada. Since January 2015, the recipients of this visa have been selected through the Express Entry program.


As such, everyone seeking this type of visa needs to create an Express Entry profile that will be used to rank them and assess whether they should be invited to apply for permanent residence. To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker visa, you need to:


  • Have at least one year of paid full-time (at least 30 hours per week)  work within the last 10 years or equivalent part-time hours
  • Be eligible to work in Canada or have a job offer or have proof that you can adequately support yourself and your dependants once you arrive in the country
  • Are adequately proficient in English and/or French
  • Have at least a high school education
  • Planning to live outside Quebec – this province usually chooses its own skilled workers
  • Score at least 67 out of 100 points in the Federal Skilled Workers points grid


It is important to note that the 67 points required to make you eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program are completely different from the CRS score you’re given when you make an Express Entry profile. As such, you can have the required 67 points and still not get an invitation for permanent residence.


What does 67 points immigration Canada mean?


Scoring at least 67 points signals to Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that you meet the requirements they have for their skilled workers. Also, it shows that you can positively contribute to Canada’s economy.


How to score 67 points?


The FSW points you get are calculated from 6 main factors:


  • Age


You need to be at least 18 years old to apply for the FSW Program. However, as long as you’re between 18 and 35 years of age, you get the maximum amount of points for this category -12 points. For every year over 35, you lose 1 point, meaning that from the age of 47 years, you get 0 points for your age. So the younger you are when you apply for the FSW program, the better.


  • Education level


For your educational qualifications, you can get at most 25 points. You can only get all the points if you have a Doctorate though. On the other hand;


  • If you have a professional or master’s degree you get 23 points
  • If you have at least 2 postgraduate credentials or certifications, you get 22 points
  • If you have a post-secondary credential that took at least 3 years to finish (ie Bachelor’s degree), you get 21 points
  • If you have a post-secondary credential that took 2 years to finish, you get 19 points
  • If you have a post-secondary credential that took 1 year to finish, you get 15 points
  • If you have a secondary education only, you get 5 points


  • Work experience


This can give you a maximum of 15 points. To get all these points, you need to have work experience of at least 6 years. If you have work experience spanning between 4 to 5 years, you get 13 points. On the other hand, those with 2 to 3 years of experience get only 11 points. And at the bottom of the pole are those who have only one year of experience (the minimum amount eligible). These candidates get a meager 9 points. 


  • Language proficiency


Your language proficiency can give you a maximum of 28 points. And since Canadians speak both English and French, you’ll be awarded more points if you are proficient in both. Proficiency in one official language will gain you a maximum of 24 points and additional proficiency in the second one will give you 4 extra points. To prove your language proficiency, you will have to take any of the below tests:


  • IELTS – the general edition of this English test is available internationally and is recognized for immigration purposes
  • TEF- this French test is available in test centers across the world
  • CELPIP – this English test is only available in Canada and a few other international test centers
  • TCF Canada – this French test is available in test centers worldwide


Whichever test you use though, your score will be converted to Canadian language Benchmarks (CLBs) that range from 1 to 10. Ultimately, these tests are supposed to test your ability to listen, speak, read, and write English or French. So the higher your score, the better.


  • Arranged employment


You can get 10 points under “arranged employment” if you receive a full-time job offer from a Canadian employer and:


  • Don’t have a Canadian work permit but the job offer is supported by a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Currently work in Canada using an LMIA-based permit in any skilled profession
  • Authorized to work in Canada through an open work permit
  • Currently work in Canada on an LMIA-exempt work permit or one issued under a provincial/territorial agreement.


Do note that it is also very possible to immigrate to Canada without a job offer, through you will still need the 67 points for immigration to Canada.


  • Adaptability


You can get up to 10 points for proving that you and your family can easily become socially and financially well-adjusted in Canada. Some situations that can earn you points include:


  • At least one year of experience in a skilled occupation in Canada – 10 points
  • Previous research or study in Canada – 5 points
  • Arranged employment in Canada – 5 points
  • Having a spouse with a CLB score of 4 or higher – 5 points
  • Having a spouse who has studied or worked in Canada – 5 points
  • Having any relatives living in Canada – 5 points


How to improve your score for 67 points


Now that you understand the factors that affect your FSW score, here are some ways you can improve it:


  • Add on your education – get an additional diploma, certificate, or degree
  • Improve your language proficiency and take new tests
  • Find a way to secure arranged employment in Canada


What happens after scoring 67 points?


After scoring 67 FSW points, you need to now concentrate on getting your CSR score as high as possible. This is the only way to improve your chances of being invited to apply for permanent residence in Canada.


Editor in Chief - EmigrateCanada.com at EmigrateCanada.com | Website | + posts

Editor in Chief - EmigrateCanada.com

Dr. Montague John (PhD), is one of the World’s leading Canadian Immigration experts. Affectionately known as “Monty” he established EmigrateCanada.com more than 25 years ago and it has grown to be one of the most reliable sources of Canada Immigration information.

In 2022 Dr. Montague John (PhD) published his book, “How to Immigrate to Canada” as EmigrateCanada.com, which featured as Bestseller in its Category for several weeks. Montague co-ordinates all the qualified contributors at EmigrateCanada.com and serves as Editor-in-Chief.