How To Get Express Entry Job Offer Points

How to Get Express Entry Job Offer Points


How to get Express Entry Job Offer Points


Job offers from Canadian employers allow immigration candidates to improve their points total in Canada’s Express Entry system. By maximizing your points, you improve your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) standing and you can receive an invitation to apply (ITA) to immigrate to Canada.


Unfortunately, not all job offers are created equally. There are certain tips, tricks, and other information that can help you improve your chances of finding a job in Canada for Express Entry to Canada.


Express Entry, CRS Points, and Express Entry Job Offer Points


Some jobs won’t earn you any CRS points for your Express Entry profile. Therefore, your employment offer must be valid under the rules of the Express Entry. To be considered for the Express Entry for Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), your job offer must:


  • Be full-time and non-seasonal
  • Be a minimum of at least one year
  • Be for a job at the Skill Level 0, A, or B, as outlined by the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • Be supported by a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Be exempt from LMIA
  • You must also score 67 points if you are going for the FSWP visa pathway


To claim points for an employment offer for Express Entry immigration to Canada, you must provide a copy of the written job offer you have found and secured. The written job offer must outline your employment position, the duties, salary, and the conditions of the employment. In addition, you need to include proof of LMIA or LMIA-exemption to get the full CRS points.



How many CRS points do are given for an employment offer for Express Entry?


The number of CRS points given for a Canadian employment offer depends on the NOC code of the job offered. You will receive 50 or 200 points. The maximum number of points depends on the skill level of the employment position. Only upper management positions will be awarded 200 points, the highest available.


Express Entry Job Offer Points


  • 200 points: Job offers beginning with 00, according to NOC
  • 50 points: All other employment offers of 0, A, or B, according to NOC


The majority of people immigrating to Canada under the Express Entry won’t qualify for the 200-point award. Therefore, you will likely receive the 50-point award toward the Express Entry to Canada. If you want to receive the 200-point award, then you must have an employment offer from one of six occupations. These occupations are all in senior management positions and legislators.


Below are the six occupations for individuals earning the 200-point award for Canada’s Express Entry:



While the 200-point award is difficult to obtain, you may receive the 50-point award if you have a valid employment offer in a skilled labor and/or occupation.


Valid Employment Offers for Express Entry Points


The IRCC outlines a valid employment offer as one that is for a job that is full-time, paid continuous work. Full-time jobs are at least 30 hours a week and is done with just one employer. However, it can be completed with up to two employers for Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) immigration candidates.


Your work cannot be seasonal. It must be ongoing for a minimum of one year after you receive a permanent resident visa. In addition, the employment must be in a skilled occupation within the NOC system.


Post-Graduate Work Permit and Provincial Nominee Program Points for Express Entry


You can receive employment offer points if you are working in Canada using an open work permit. The Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is an example of the open work permanent. However, your employer must complete an LMIA. If an LMIA is not completed, then you won’t receive the points for Express Entry.


The open work permit may help you receive points for Express Entry. Having Canadian work experience is a great resource for Express Entry or potentially, it could make you eligible for a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).


However, an open work permit does not allow you to receive the 50 or 200-point award. The 50 and 200-point award is specifically for a job offer from a Canadian employer. Be sure your Canadian employer has completed an LMIA to receive points towards Express Entry.


What is LMIA?


Your Canadian employer typically needs a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA is an official government document employers typically need, if they want to hire a foreign employee. The LMIA proves that there aren’t any negative impacts on the Canadian workforce and job market if a foreign employee is hired to the company.


Specific occupations are exempt of LMIA. You can claim the employment offer points for these jobs as well, as long as you have worked for the company for at least a year and will continue working for them for one year after receiving your permanent resident visa. Your current company must be the one specified on your work permit to receive the points.


It is important to remember that to receive the CRS points for Express Entry, your Canadian job offer must be supported by an LMIA completed by your employer or the company must be LMIA-exempt.


Convincing Canadian Immigration for Express Entry Job Offer Points


Even if you receive a Canadian job offer and meet the requirements for the 50 point or 200-point award, the immigration official in charge of your file must be convinced of your capabilities for fulfilling the job role. If the immigration officer is in any way not convinced of your ability to fulfill the job role, you may not receive your points or visa to enter Canada. In addition, the IRCC reviews your likelihood of qualifying for a license or being certified by a regulatory body in Canada.


There are ways to improve your Express Entry points with a Canadian job offer. Gaining as many points as possible will improve your chances of successful Canadian immigration. However, you must meet the criteria outlined by Canadian immigration and the provinces and territories responsible for certification requirements.


Editor in Chief - at | Website | + posts

Editor in Chief -

Dr. Montague John (PhD), is one of the World’s leading Canadian Immigration experts. Affectionately known as “Monty” he established more than 25 years ago and it has grown to be one of the most reliable sources of Canada Immigration information.

In 2022 Dr. Montague John (PhD) published his book, “How to Immigrate to Canada” as, which featured as Bestseller in its Category for several weeks. Montague co-ordinates all the qualified contributors at and serves as Editor-in-Chief.