Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor

Migrate Canada » Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor

This article describes in detail how to Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor with or without a Job offer. There are thousands of Counsellors just like you emigrating to Canada next year. Find out how to join them. With the right Counselling skills, Canada Wants You!

Can I immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor?

If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor you’re in luck! Counsellors are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer.  If you are a Counsellor and have been working as a Counsellor you may qualify to immigrate to Canada.

Migrate to Canada as a Counsellor

Every occupation on the Canada NOC List is assigned an immigration code and the code for those looking to emigrate to Canada as a Counsellor is 4153. This is also known as the NOC Code for a Counsellor.

No doubt you will have read online that having a job offer to move to Canada is a prerequisite to accessing the Express Entry process but as a Counsellor you also have other options to secure your Canada Visa from the start.

For starters, Counsellors are eligible to apply for Canada Immigration under the Canadian Government’s Immigration program due to the demand for Counsellors in Canada being so great they have included the occupation on the targeted occupations list, known as the NOC list (National Occupation Code In Demand List).

The code for Counsellors on the NOC is 4153

This is great news for Counsellors the world over hoping to live and work in Canada.

Express Entry for Canada is not a visa class at all, it is simply the method (or database) that Canadian Immigration uses to select the right candidates for a permanent residency visa and in that case, as a Counsellor looking to immigrate to Canada we’ll be looking at the Federal Skilled Worker visa and Provincial Nominee program.


Counsellors from all over the world are eligible to make an Express Entry for Canada Residency providing they have the right skills, experience and qualifications in their home country.

Counsellors looking to move to Canada to work under this NOC category 4153, might be employed under work titles including: 

  • addictions counsellor
  • alcohol addiction counsellor
  • behavioural consultant
  • bereavement counsellor
  • child and family counsellor
  • child and youth counsellor
  • children’s counsellor
  • clinical counsellor
  • community mental health counsellor
  • counselling program supervisor
  • counsellor for persons who are intellectually impaired
  • couples therapist
  • crisis counsellor
  • disability consultant
  • drug addiction counsellor
  • eating disorder therapist
  • family counsellor
  • family planning counsellor
  • family therapist
  • family therapist (FT)
  • gambling addictions counsellor
  • gambling addictions therapist
  • genetic counsellor
  • grief counsellor
  • group home counsellor
  • human relations officer – family and children’s services
  • human relations officer – family therapy
  • marital counsellor
  • marriage and family therapist
  • marriage and family therapist (MFT)
  • marriage consultant
  • marriage counsellor
  • marriage therapist
  • marriage therapist (MT)
  • mental health counsellor
  • play therapist
  • preretirement counsellor
  • psychoeducational consultant
  • psychoeducator
  • registered clinical counsellor
  • registered family therapist
  • registered marriage and family therapist
  • registered marriage therapist
  • rehabilitation counsellor
  • sex therapist
  • sexologist
  • special needs counsellor
  • vocational rehabilitation consultant
  • vocational rehabilitation counsellor
  • welfare organization counsellor
  • zootherapist

All these roles held by a Counsellor are eligible to apply under this specific NOC category of 4153.

Skills and Tasks to Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor.

In general Counsellors moving to Canada will be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience of the following:

Main duties


Main duties

The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:

Family, marriage and other related counsellors perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Interview clients, prepare case histories and assess problems
  • Conduct vocational testing and psychometric assessment
  • Develop and implement counselling and intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and means of attaining them
  • Counsel clients, provide therapy and mediation services, and facilitate group sessions
  • Liaise with community agencies or partners, and identify additional or alternative services and provide referrals
  • Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and interventions, and clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward defined objectives
  • Follow up on results of counselling programs and clients’ adjustments
  • Prepare assessment, progress, follow-up and court reports
  • May supervise other counsellors, social service staff and assistants
  • May provide public education and consultation to other professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
  • May provide witness testimony in court proceedings
  • May conduct research, publish research papers, educational texts and articles and deliver presentations at conferences.
  • May participate in fundraising activities.
  • Family, marriage and other related counsellors often specialize in dealing with a specific client group such as injured workers, or with specific problems, such as drug and alcohol addiction, marital difficulties or behavioural disorders.

Whilst the above is meant as a general guide do take our free online visa assessment for further information and be sure to list out your skills and qualifications in detail.

Emigrate Canada has a dedicated Therapy Industry Workers desk that only represents Therapy Industry Workers to immigrate to Canada. They understand your profession and can talk your language when it comes to explaining your immigration pathway and the route to securing a Canada Visa for you (and your family).

Qualifications required to Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor

  • A master’s degree in the field of counselling, mental health or a related social service discipline is usually required.
  • In Quebec, a master’s degree in psychoeducation is required to practise as a psycho-educator.
  • An undergraduate degree or college diploma in a social science is required for certain areas of counselling.
  • Membership with a provincial association for marriage and family therapists or clinical counsellors is required to use the title “Registered Marriage and Family Therapist” or “Registered Clinical Counsellor”, and in Quebec, to use the title “marriage and family therapist (MFT)”, “family therapist (FT)” or “marriage therapist (MT)”. Membership with a provincial association may be required by some employers.
  • Registration with a regulatory body is required in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Québec and Ontario.
  • Registered marriage and family therapists and registered clinical counsellors must meet strict criteria involving postgraduate education and a period of supervised clinical work with clients.

We represent Counsellors from all over the World so regardless of your country of qualification feel free to contact us today for a full breakdown of your Canadian Immigration chances.

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor

The first stage in your Canadian immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System.

CRS Points are awarded for (amongst other things)



English ability

French ability

Your partner’s skills

Work experience

As well as providing you with important CRS points these factors also count towards your overall Immigration Points score which must equal or exceed a total of 67

Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.

Once you receive an ITA (Invitation to apply) from Canadian Immigration as a result of your Express Entry application you’ll only have 60 days in which to lodge a formal application so under no circumstances should you lodge an Express Entry application ‘claiming’ to have certain points without first having all of your points verified through different testing, education equivalence certificates and skilled worker assessments.

Once you are invited to apply for your Canada Visa you cannot go back and have these things verified retrospectively, they must be done before you claim any points for them and given that your express entry profile is only valid for one year it makes sense to present the best possible case right from the start.

Before you lodge your express entry we will help you through the process of having your qualifications and certificates verified as required by immigration.

Can I immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor without a job offer?

The answer is a resounding yes, providing you have a reasonable total CRS score on your Express Entry application and can meet the 67 immigration point threshold for your Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.

Technically there is no minimum CRS score required to submit a Counsellor Canada Express Entry profile.

Of course securing a job offer (documented in the right way for immigration purposes i.e. LMT) will give you an instant CRS boost of 200 points so it makes sense to start this process as soon as is practical.

Counsellor Jobs in Canada

Occupations on the Canada NOC list can be classed as being ‘in demand’ and the Counsellor code 4153 has been firmly established on the list for many years with lots of opportunity right across the country.

As a qualified new and highly skilled Permanent resident of Canada you may work full time from day one. Counsellor Jobs in Canada are often better paid than in the UK, Europe and Asia and Canadian employment law respects the work life balance. The industry body for Counsellors is the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association.

Emigrate Canada are the Therapy Industry Canada Visa specialists with a dedicated Therapy Industry Workers desk.

Emigrate Canada are ideally placed to take care of not just your immigration paperwork, but also to get you registered to work from day one.

Title: Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor

Counsellor: Monty @ Emigrate Canada, Canadian Immigration Expert

Contact: @TalkToMonty

Full Guide how to immigrate to Canada as a Office Worker. How to Immigrate to Canada as a Office Worker without a Job Offer. Canada PR

Immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor


Skip to toolbar