Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary
How to Immigrate to Canada as a Legal SecretaryThis article describes in detail how to Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary with or without a Job offer. There are thousands of Legal Secretaries just like you emigrating to Canada next year. Find out how to join them. With the right Legal Secretary skills, Canada Wants You!
Can I immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary?
If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary you’re in luck! Legal Secretaries are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer. If you are a Legal Secretary and have been working as a Legal Secretary you may qualify to immigrate to Canada.
Migrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary
Every occupation on the Canada NOC List is assigned an immigration code and the code for those looking to emigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary is 4211. This is also known as the NOC Code for Paralegals.
No doubt you will have read online that having a job offer to move to Canada is a prerequisite to accessing the Express Entry process but as a Legal Secretary you also have other options to secure your Canada Visa from the start.
For starters, Legal Secretaries are eligible to apply for Canada Immigration under the Canadian Government’s Immigration program due to the demand for Legal Secretaries in Canada being so great they have included the occupation on the targeted occupations list, known as the NOC list (National Occupation Code In Demand List).
The code for Legal Secretaries on the NOC is 4211
This is great news for Legal Secretaries the world over hoping to live and work in Canada.
Express Entry for Canada is not a visa class at all, it is simply the method (or database) that Canadian Immigration uses to select the right candidates for a permanent residency visa and in that case, as a Legal Secretary looking to immigrate to Canada we’ll be looking at the Federal Skilled Worker visa and Provincial Nominee program.
Legal Secretaries from all over the world are eligible to make an Express Entry for Canada Residency providing they have the right skills, experience and qualifications in their home country.
Legal Secretaries looking to move to Canada to work under this NOC category 4211, might be employed under work titles including:
- brief writer – law
- British Columbia notary public
- collection paralegal
- commercial law clerk
- commercial law paralegal
- contract clerk – law
- conveyance clerk
- copyright agent
- corporate law and litigation clerk
- corporate law clerk
- corporate paralegal
- corporate securities law clerk
- corporation paralegal
- court and tribunal agent
- criminal law clerk
- criminal law paralegal
- family law clerk
- family law paralegal
- foreclosure clerk
- foreclosure paralegal
- independent paralegal
- insurance law clerk
- insurance paralegal
- labour law clerk
- labour law paralegal
- land titles clerk
- land titles examiner
- law clerk
- law clerk to judge
- lay notary public
- lease and title clerk
- legal researcher
- legal technician
- litigation law clerk
- litigation paralegal
- mortgage and real estate paralegal
- notary public
- notary public (British Columbia)
- notary public (outside Quebec)
- notary public clerk
- oil and gas property paralegal
- oil and gas rights law clerk
- oil and gas rights paralegal
- property paralegal
- real estate law clerk
- real estate paralegal
- registered trademark agent
- tax law clerk
- tax paralegal
- title and lease clerk
- title examiner
- title searcher
- trademark agent
- transfer-of-title clerk
- wills and estates law clerk
- wills and estates paralegal
All these roles held by a Legal Secretary are eligible to apply under this specific NOC category of 4211.
Skills and Tasks to Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary.
In general Legal Secretaries moving to Canada will be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience of the following:
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Assist lawyers by interviewing clients, witnesses and other related parties, assembling documentary evidence, preparing trial briefs, and arranging for trials
- Assist lawyers in preparation for mediation and judicial dispute resolutions
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, prepare wills, real estate transactions and other legal documents, court reports and affidavits
- Research records, court files and other legal documents
- Draft legal correspondence and perform general office and clerical duties.
- Represent clients in small claims court and in other lower court proceedings, at tribunals and before administrative bodies
- Advise clients and take legal action on landlord and tenant matters, traffic violations, name changes and other issues within their jurisdictions.
- Administer oaths and take affidavits and depositions
- Witness and certify the validity of signatures on documents
- May draft contracts, prepare promissory notes and draw up wills, mortgages and other legal documents
- May arrange probates and administer the estates of deceased persons.
- Advise clients on intellectual property matters and represent clients before the Registrar of Trade-Marks on matters including prosecution of applications for registration of trademarks
- Advise on the registrability of trademarks, trademark licensing requirements, transfer of intellectual property and protection of existing trademark rights
- Represent clients at proceedings before the Trade Marks Opposition Board and in related proceedings
- May represent clients internationally in consultation with foreign associates and attorneys.
Whilst the above is meant as a general guide do take our free online visa assessment for further information and be sure to list out your skills and qualifications in detail.
Emigrate Canada has a dedicated Legal Industry Workers desk that only represents Legal Industry Workers to immigrate to Canada. They understand your profession and can talk your language when it comes to explaining your immigration pathway and the route to securing a Canada Visa for you (and your family).
Qualifications required to Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary
- Paralegals in law firms require a bachelor’s degree in law or a law college diploma and in-house training from a law firm or other legal establishment.
- Independent paralegals require knowledge of legal principles and procedures usually obtained through industry-sponsored courses and through experience, or through completion of a community college paralegal program.
- Paralegals require a licence to perform advanced legal services.
- Notaries public usually require a university degree in law or a related field.
- Notaries public are appointed after examination and certification of their qualifications by the governing judiciary in their province or territory. All appointments have specific limitations on the activities they can perform and for specific periods of time.
- Notaries public require a provincial licence. In British Columbia, membership in the Society of Notaries Public is also required.
- To be licensed, trademark agents are required to work in the area of trademark law, including the preparation and prosecution of trademark applications for registration, for two years and to successfully complete the examination conducted jointly by the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and the Registrar of Trade-Marks, Canadian Intellectual Property Office or either one of the above and to be a lawyer entitled to practise in Canada.
- Trademark agents require registration with the federal Trade-Mark Office.
How to Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary
The first stage in your Canadian immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System.
CRS Points are awarded for (amongst other things)
Your partner’s skills
As well as providing you with important CRS points these for Legal Secretaries also count towards your overall Immigration Points score which must equal or exceed a total of 67
Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.
Once you receive an ITA (Invitation to apply) from Canadian Immigration as a result of your Express Entry application you’ll only have 60 days in which to lodge a formal application so under no circumstances should you lodge an Express Entry application ‘claiming’ to have certain points without first having all of your points verified through different testing, education equivalence certificates and skilled worker assessments.
Once you are invited to apply for your Canada Visa you cannot go back and have these things verified retrospectively, they must be done before you claim any points for them and given that your express entry profile is only valid for one year it makes sense to present the best possible case right from the start.
Before you lodge your express entry we will help you through the process of having your qualifications and certificates verified as required by immigration.
Can I immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary without a job offer?
The answer is a resounding yes, providing you have a reasonable total CRS score on your Express Entry application and can meet the 67 immigration point threshold for your Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
Technically there is no minimum CRS score required to submit a Legal Secretary Canada Express Entry profile.
Of course securing a job offer (documented in the right way for immigration purposes i.e. LMT) will give you an instant CRS boost of 200 points so it makes sense to start this process as soon as is practical.
Legal Secretary Jobs in Canada
Occupations on the Canada NOC list can be classed as being ‘in demand’ and the Legal Secretary code 4211 has been firmly established on the list for many years with lots of opportunity right across the country.
As a qualified new and highly skilled Permanent resident of Canada you may work full time from day one. Legal Secretary Jobs in Canada are often better paid than in the UK, Europe and Asia and Canadian employment law respects the work life balance. The industry body for Legal Secretaries is the Canadian Association of Paralegals.
Emigrate Canada are the Legal Industry Canada Visa specialists with a dedicated Legal Industry Workers desk.
Emigrate Canada are ideally placed to take care of not just your immigration paperwork, but also to get you registered to work from day one.
Title: Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary
Legal Secretary: Monty @ Emigrate Canada, Canadian Immigration Expert
Immigrate to Canada as a Legal Secretary