Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant

Emigrate Canada » Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant

This article describes in detail how to Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant with or without a Job offer.

Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant in 2023

If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant you’re in luck! Research Assistants are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer.  If you are a Research Assistant and have been working as a Research Assistant you may qualify to immigrate to Canada.


Migrate to Canada as a Research Assistant

Every occupation on the Canada NOC List is assigned an immigration code and the code for those looking to emigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant is 4012. This is also known as the NOC Code for a Research Assistant or Post Secondary Teaching Assistant.

No doubt you will have read online that having a job offer to move to Canada is a prerequisite to accessing the Express Entry process but as a Research Assistant you also have other options to secure your Canada Visa from the start.

For starters, Research Assistants are eligible to apply for Canada Immigration under the Canadian Government’s Immigration program due to the demand for Research Assistants in Canada being so great they have included the occupation on the targeted occupations list, known as the NOC list (National Occupation Code In Demand List).

The code for Research Assistants on the NOC is 4012

This is great news for Research Assistants the world over hoping to live and work in Canada.

Express Entry for Canada is not a visa class at all, it is simply the method (or database) that Canadian Immigration uses to select the right candidates for a permanent residency visa and in that case, as a Research Assistant looking to immigrate to Canada we’ll be looking at the Federal Skilled Worker visa and Provincial Nominee program.

Research Assistants from all over the world are eligible to make an Express Entry for Canada Residency providing they have the right skills, experience and qualifications in their home country.

Research Assistants looking to move to Canada to work under this NOC category 4012, might be employed under work titles including: 

  • college laboratory assistant
  • college teaching assistant
  • discussion group leader – post-secondary teaching assistant
  • graduate assistant – university
  • laboratory demonstrator – post-secondary teaching assistance
  • laboratory supervisor – post-secondary teaching assistant
  • marker – post-secondary teaching assistance
  • post-secondary research assistant
  • post-secondary teaching assistant
  • tutor – post-secondary teaching assistant
  • university laboratory assistant
  • university research assistant
  • university teaching assistant


All these roles held by a Research Assistant are eligible to apply under this specific NOC category of 4012.

Skills and Tasks to Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant.

In general Research Assistants moving to Canada will be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience of the following:

Main duties

The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:

Workers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:

Post-secondary teaching assistants
  • Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
  • Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
  • Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
  • Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.
Research assistants
  • Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
  • Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
  • Post-secondary teaching and research assistants specialize in a subject matter based on their field of study.

Whilst the above is meant as a general guide do take our free online visa assessment for further information and be sure to list out your skills and qualifications in detail.

Emigrate Canada has a dedicated Education Industry Workers desk that only represents Education Industry Workers to immigrate to Canada. They understand your profession and can talk your language when it comes to explaining your immigration pathway and the route to securing a Canada Visa for you (and your family).

Qualifications required to Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant

Employment requirements

  • Enrolment in, or completion of, a university or college program is required.

We represent Research Assistants from all over the World so regardless of your country of qualification feel free to contact us today for a full breakdown of your Canadian Immigration chances.

How to Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant

The first stage in your Canadian immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System.

CRS Points are awarded for (amongst other things)



English ability

French ability

Your partner’s skills

Work experience


As well as providing you with important CRS points these f Research Assistants also count towards your overall Immigration Points score which must equal or exceed a total of 67

Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.

Once you receive an ITA (Invitation to apply) from Canadian Immigration as a result of your Express Entry application you’ll only have 60 days in which to lodge a formal application so under no circumstances should you lodge an Express Entry application ‘claiming’ to have certain points without first having all of your points verified through different testing, education equivalence certificates and skilled worker assessments.

Once you are invited to apply for your Canada Visa you cannot go back and have these things verified retrospectively, they must be done before you claim any points for them and given that your express entry profile is only valid for one year it makes sense to present the best possible case right from the start.

Before you lodge your express entry we will help you through the process of having your qualifications and certificates verified as required by immigration.

Can I immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant without a job offer?

The answer is a resounding yes, providing you have a reasonable total CRS score on your Express Entry application and can meet the 67 immigration point threshold for your Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.

Technically there is no minimum CRS score required to submit a Research Assistant Canada Express Entry profile.

Of course securing a job offer (documented in the right way for immigration purposes i.e. LMT) will give you an instant CRS boost of 200 points so it makes sense to start this process as soon as is practical.

 Research Assistant Jobs in Canada

Occupations on the Canada NOC list can be classed as being ‘in demand’ and the Research Assistant code 4012 has been firmly established on the list for many years with lots of opportunity right across the country.

As a qualified new and highly skilled Permanent resident of Canada you may work full time from day one. Research Assistant Jobs in Canada are often better paid than in the UK, Europe and Asia and Canadian employment law respects the work life balance. The industry body for Research Assistants is the Canadian Association of Professional Researchers.


Full Guide how to immigrate to Canada as a Office Worker. How to Immigrate to Canada as a Office Worker without a Job Offer. Canada PR

Immigrate to Canada as a Research Assistant in 2023