Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker
How to Immigrate to Canada as a Social WorkerThis article describes in detail how to Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker with or without a Job offer. There are thousands of Social Workers just like you emigrating to Canada next year. Find out how to join them. With the right Social Worker skills, Canada Wants You!
Can I immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker?
If you’re looking to immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker you’re in luck! Social Workers are in demand right across Canada and you may be able to secure a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa either with or without a job offer. If you are a Social Worker and have been working as a Social Worker you may qualify to immigrate to Canada.
Migrate to Canada as a Social Worker
Every occupation on the Canada NOC List is assigned an immigration code and the code for those looking to emigrate to Canada as a Social Worker is 4152. This is also known as the NOC Code for a Social Case Worker.
No doubt you will have read online that having a job offer to move to Canada is a prerequisite to accessing the Express Entry process but as a Social Worker you also have other options to secure your Canada Visa from the start.
For starters, Social Workers are eligible to apply for Canada Immigration under the Canadian Government’s Immigration program due to the demand for Social Workers in Canada being so great they have included the occupation on the targeted occupations list, known as the NOC list (National Occupation Code In Demand List).
The code for Social Workers on the NOC is 4152
This is great news for Social Workers the world over hoping to live and work in Canada.
Express Entry for Canada is not a visa class at all, it is simply the method (or database) that Canadian Immigration uses to select the right candidates for a permanent residency visa and in that case, as a Social Worker looking to immigrate to Canada we’ll be looking at the Federal Skilled Worker visa and Provincial Nominee program.
How much do Social Workers Earn in Canada 2020?
|Province||Average Salary in 2020 (CAD)|
|Newfoundland & Labrador||$73,978|
|Prince Edward Island||$78,517|
Ask any question about Immigrating to Canada as a Social Worker for targeted results:
Social Workers from all over the world are eligible to make an Express Entry for Canada Residency providing they have the right skills, experience and qualifications in their home country.
Social Workers looking to move to Canada to work under this NOC category 4152, might be employed under work titles including:
- addiction social worker
- case management consultant – social work
- case management social worker
- case work consultant – social work
- casework supervisor – social work
- caseworker – social work
- certified social worker
- child welfare social worker
- children’s aid investigator
- co-ordinator of social work
- family social worker
- geriatric social worker
- group social worker
- human relations officer – social work
- intake worker – social services
- medical social worker
- psychiatric social worker
- registered social worker
- school social worker
- social casework consultant
- social work co-ordinator
- social work officer
- social work supervisor
- social worker
- social workers supervisor
All these roles held by a Social Worker are eligible to apply under this specific NOC category of 4152.
Skills and Tasks to Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker.
In general Social Workers moving to Canada will be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience of the following:
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
Social workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Interview clients individually, in families, or in groups, to assess their situation and problems and determine the types of services required
- Provide counsel and therapy to assist clients in developing skills to deal with and resolve their social and personal problems
- Plan programs of assistance for clients including referral to agencies that provide financial assistance, legal aid, housing, medical treatment and other services
- Investigate cases of child abuse or neglect and take authorized protective action when necessary
- Serve as members on interdisciplinary teams of professionals working with client groups
- Act as advocates for client groups in the community, lobby for solutions to problems directly affecting client groups and develop prevention and intervention programs to meet community needs
- Develop or advise on social policy legislation, conduct social research and assist in community development
- Provide mediation services and psychosocial assessments
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling and social programs
- May provide public education and consultation to professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
- May supervise other social workers.
- Social workers may specialize in fields of practice such as child welfare, family services, corrections, gerontology or addictions.
Whilst the above is meant as a general guide do take our free online visa assessment for further information and be sure to list out your skills and qualifications in detail.
Emigrate Canada has a dedicated Community Industry Workers desk that only represents community Industry Workers to immigrate to Canada. They understand your profession and can talk your language when it comes to explaining your immigration pathway and the route to securing a Canada Visa for you (and your family).
Qualifications required to Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker
- A bachelor’s degree in social work is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- In Alberta, a bachelor’s degree or diploma in social work is required.
- Supervised practical experience is usually required.
- Successful completion of provincial written and oral examinations may be required.
- Registration with a provincial governing body is mandatory to practise as a social worker in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia.
- Use of the titles “Social Worker” and “Registered Social Worker” is regulated in all provinces.
- Membership in a provincial association of social workers is usually required.
How to Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker
The first stage in your Canadian immigration process is to calculate your Canada Immigration points for Express Entry using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System.
CRS Points are awarded for (amongst other things)
Your partner’s skills
As well as providing you with important CRS points these f Social Workers also count towards your overall Immigration Points score which must equal or exceed a total of 67
Take our free online visa assessment for an up to date report on whether you have enough points to immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker from both an Express Entry and Immigration points perspective.
Once you receive an ITA (Invitation to apply) from Canadian Immigration as a result of your Express Entry application you’ll only have 60 days in which to lodge a formal application so under no circumstances should you lodge an Express Entry application ‘claiming’ to have certain points without first having all of your points verified through different testing, education equivalence certificates and skilled worker assessments.
Once you are invited to apply for your Canada Visa you cannot go back and have these things verified retrospectively, they must be done before you claim any points for them and given that your express entry profile is only valid for one year it makes sense to present the best possible case right from the start.
Before you lodge your express entry we will help you through the process of having your qualifications and certificates verified as required by immigration.
Can I immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker without a job offer?
The answer is a resounding yes, providing you have a reasonable total CRS score on your Express Entry application and can meet the 67 immigration point threshold for your Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
Technically there is no minimum CRS score required to submit a Social Worker Canada Express Entry profile.
Of course securing a job offer (documented in the right way for immigration purposes i.e. LMT) will give you an instant CRS boost of 200 points so it makes sense to start this process as soon as is practical.
Social Worker Jobs in Canada
Occupations on the Canada NOC list can be classed as being ‘in demand’ and the Social Worker code 4152 has been firmly established on the list for many years with lots of opportunity right across the country.
As a qualified new and highly skilled Permanent resident of Canada you may work full time from day one. Social Worker Jobs in Canada are often better paid than in the UK, Europe and Asia and Canadian employment law respects the work life balance. The industry body for Social Workers is the Canadian Association of Social Workers.
Emigrate Canada are the Community Industry Canada Visa specialists with a dedicated Community Industry Workers desk.
Emigrate Canada are ideally placed to take care of not just your immigration paperwork, but also to get you registered to work from day one.
Title: Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker
Social Worker: Monty @ Emigrate Canada, Canadian Immigration Expert
Immigrate to Canada as a Social Worker