Immigrate to Canada as a Real Estate Agent

Sponsor your partner for Canadian immigration

How to sponsor your partner for Canadian immigration from inside Canada


Applying for your partner to live with you in Canada is different than if you are applying outside of the country. The process has different steps, but if done correctly, the results should see you and your spouse living together in Canada.


The Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class route is for permanent residents and Canadian citizens who live together in the country and want to stay that way. The foreign national in the couple must have Canadian immigration status as a worker, visitor, or student.


If the individual also wants to gain an open work permit, they should apply under the same class. This will allow them to work while waiting on their Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada to be approved. Possessing an open work permit may help reduce the economic and emotional issues of a possibly long application process. In addition, an open work permit allows your partner to be professionally active with work and to join the Canadian labor market.


It is expected that applicants will stay in Canada during application process. If your partner does not plan to remain in Canada or must travel outside the country during the application process, then the outland sponsorship program may be a better option for you.


To sponsor a partner or spouse, a Canadian international must first ensure they are eligible to sponsor the individual. You will need to be a Canadian citizen, First Nation, or permanent resident of Canada over the age of 18 to sponsor your partner or spouse.


Along with meeting the first steps of sponsorship, you will need to prove you can provide for your basic needs along with the needs of your partner. If there are any dependent children, you will need to prove you can support them too. There are some factors that can make you ineligible to sponsor your partner. If you were convicted of a violent crime then you won’t be able to sponsor your loved one.


Other requirements to sponsor your partner for Canadian immigration include:


  • You are legally married and it is valid under the Canadian law of the jurisdiction in which it is registered and under Canadian law
  • You are cohabiting or have been cohabiting with your partner in a marriage-like relationship for at least 12 consecutive months
  • The sponsored individual must not have been sponsored by you in Canada in the five years prior to the application’s submission
  • Neither you nor your partner must be in prison, charged with a serious offense or bankrupt
  • Conjugal partnerships such as relationships in which two people are not allowed to live together or marry due to religious or marital status barriers are not eligible for sponsorship


Your partner must also be eligible for sponsorship. They must be over 18-years old, pass a background check, security check, and medical examinations. According to the Canadian government, your relationship must be considered “genuine” and not built on obtaining permanent residency status in Canada.


Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will take around 12 months to process the partner sponsorship applications. There is also a two to three months period as they ensure the application is completed thoroughly.



The IRCC may ask you partner who is applying for Canadian permanent residence to submit biometric data during the processing period. Your partner will have a maximum of 30 days to send the biometric data to the IRCC. Additional information may be requested by the IRCC. This additional information may include an in-person interview, which could occur at any time. Those being sponsored have 30 days to undergo a medical exam for their application. You will be able to track your application status online.


After a decision is made on your application by the IRCC, you will be sent instructions for the next steps of the process. The partner who is applying for immigration to Canada will have a few more steps to take before permanent residency is granted.


Your partner must visit a Canadian port of entry to meet with an immigration official for a landing interview. Specific documents will be needed and the IRCC will inform you about those papers needed. The time and location of the interview will also be outlined by the IRCC. After the landing interview is completed, your partner will become an official permanent Canadian resident. The next step is to receive a permanent resident card, which will arrive in the mail.


Editor in Chief - at | Website | + posts

Editor in Chief -

Dr. Montague John (PhD), is one of the World’s leading Canadian Immigration experts. Affectionately known as “Monty” he established more than 25 years ago and it has grown to be one of the most reliable sources of Canada Immigration information.

In 2022 Dr. Montague John (PhD) published his book, “How to Immigrate to Canada” as, which featured as Bestseller in its Category for several weeks. Montague co-ordinates all the qualified contributors at and serves as Editor-in-Chief.